To observe and understand regional weather, Fiji’s climate and hydrological patterns, and provide meteorological and hydrological services in support of the well being of communities, economic growth, environmental sustainability and international obligations.
- To satisfy Fijis need for weather, climate and hydrological data, associated forecasts, warnings, projections and other related information, as required.
- To monitor the climate of Fiji and advise on issues relating to the science of climate, climate change and variability, including extremes.
- To provide weather forecast, warning and advisory services for other Pacific Island Countries.
- To function as a Regional Specialized Meteorological Centre (RSMC) for tropical cyclones, under the World Weather Watch Programme of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- To serve as the Meteorological Watch Authority (MWA) and the Meteorological Watch Office (MWO) for the Nadi Flight Information Region (FIR) and other specified areas as per International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) designation, for the purpose of international air navigation. To provide meteorological forecast and warning services for international shipping in the tropical South-west Pacific waters, as per WMO and International Oceanic Commission requirements.
- Maintain, sustain and develop Fiji’s meteorological and hydrological observation networks, to WMO, ICAO and ISO standards.
- Maintain, sustain and develop the Departments Information, Computing & Telecommunication systems to internationally agreed standards to ensure timely exchange and dissemination of meteorological, hydrological, and related information.
- Provide and facilitate meteorological and hydrological training to Fiji and the Pacific Island Countries as well as awareness and education to all communities in Fiji
Honesty &Integrity: We strive to employ the highest ethical standards demonstrating honesty and fairness in every action that we take.
Innovation:We are creative in delivering value added products and services to our fellow colleagues, our customers, shareholders and our community. We anticipate change and capitalize on the many opportunities that arise.
Professionalism: We honour the rights and beliefs of our fellow colleagues, our customers, our shareholders and our community. We treat others with the highest degree of dignity, equality and trust.
Leadership: Our leaders provide vision for the future and communicate this vision articulately to the rest of the staff.
Teamwork: We promote and support a diverse yet unified team. We work together daily to meet our common goals by respecting one anothers view.
Dedication: We accept our individual and team responsibilities when we meet our commitments. We take responsibility for our performance in all of our decisions and actions.
Acting Director Meteorological & Hydrological Services
Mr. Terry Atalifo