87 Nasilivata House, Ratu Mara Rd, Suva.
Monday to Thursday: 8am – 4.30pm
Friday: 8am – 4pm
The Department of Water and Sewerage is responsible for the formulation of policies, legislation and regulatory frameworks for the provision of a sustainable water and sewerage sector. The Department is the focal Government Agency that provides policy and technical advice and also monitors the sector’s compliance to legislation, policies and standards. The Department is also mandated to monitor Water Authority of Fiji (WAF) activities in line with the Government budgetary allocations.
The Department is aligned to relevant outcomes identified in Government’s 5 and 20 Year National Development Plan, the Ministry’s 5 Year Strategic Development Plan (2021-2026), Water Authority of Fiji Act 2007, Green Growth Framework, Climate Change Act 2021,National Climate Change Policy
Rural Water and Sanitation Policy and National Adaptation Plan.
The role of the Department in the provision of an enabling environment for the water and sanitation sector has been made possible through the following key strategic areas:
• Regulation of the Water and Sewerage Sector
• Management and Analysis of National Water and Sewerage Data and Information
• Monitoring and Compliance of Water and Sewerage Systems
• Water and Wastewater Laboratory Services
• Monitoring and Assessment of WAF Projects and Budgetary Allocation;
• Research and Development of low cost and user-friendly treatment technologies for water and sewerage systems;
• International and Regional Obligations
• Water Conservation Awareness Programme and Training The Department of Water and Sewerage is headed by the Director of Water and Sewerage with the
Technical Unit responsible for monitoring and compliance and Policy Unit responsible for policy and regulatory matters, supported by common cadre support staff.
The Department of Water and Sewerage continue to work towards improving the livelihoods of all Fijians within the water and sewerage sector and furthermore foster and maintain partnerships with all its stakeholders.